Sunday, January 27, 2008

Yes'm

When did I become a ma'am? At what point do you cross over from being called miss in the grocery stores and Panera by the nice young men to the dreaded ma'am? Is it because I have a kid on my hip? Because I'm hugely pregnant? Because I seem, virtually overnight, to have aged about 15 years when I wasn't looking? Really, I appreciate the attempt at being polite, especially when so many people who work those types of jobs are bitter about the state of their lives (or they're nice looking young college men) but if you really want to stoke my ego, get a tip, prevent me from asking you to bag my groceries in paper bags...just call me miss. Please. Forget the bun in my hair that's hanging halfway down my head, forget the fact that I have no makeup on and my glasses are crooked, and forget that I probably haven't showered in 2 or 3 days - I'm a mom. I've earned the right to go out in public like that. You will, somday, too. Unless you're one of those college men. Then be damn sure to be nice to your wife when it, inevitably, happens to her.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I can so relate. The other day at the store I told this young man that he didn't really have to call me ma'am... that is reserved for my mother...