Thursday, May 31, 2007

7 months old



Where in the world does the time go?

7 months ago right now I was probably just getting cleaned up after my c-section. The hands of 3 nurses washing the blood off of my lower half, and me feeling mortified and a little dosconcerted that I couldn't feel them doing it because I was overly numb from my spinal. Taking my gown off to change me into a fresh one - whipping it off in one swift movement, leaving me lying on the cold steel table, naked, bloody, and high on drugs. Yikes.

Nathanael is in such a great stage right now. Still only has the 2 teeth. Still not crazy about solid foods but will eat a little bit at a time. He constantly babbles, speaking to books, stuffed animals, hairs...you name it. I wish I had a baby babble decoder. He sits up on his own like a pro. Still no crawling, but he's getting there, and it won't be quick enough for him. He tries so hard and gets so frustrated. It's awfully cute. His combination Irish and Italian temper is definitely starting to show itself. He gets angry when I try to feed him when he's had enough - he'll bang on the tray of the high chair and yell. When he's on his mat and is bored, he'll throw his hands up in the air and bring them down in a very dramatic swoop, banging on the floor at the very end. Ah, my little dramatist.

He had/has his first ear infection, and thus an introduction to the dreaded pink stuff - the "bubble gum flavor" liquid amoxicillin. Administering it to him brought back horrid flashbacks from my childhood, and smelling it made me gag. I had an inkling that that's what his issue was, took him to the doctor, and voila, I was right. He also has a bad cold, but it seems to be on its way out.

With the weather (finally) turning warm in Buffalo, we've been spending a lot of time outside. He loves grass. He can't get enough of pulling itout of the ground and rubbing his feet in it. We're going to attempt his baby pool for the first time this afternoon after his nap.

He's just growing up way too fast. I feel sad in thinking that I didn't pay enough attention to the minor details of just being when he was a new new baby. I suppose every first time mom has that feeling, though. We're too tired and too stressed. I just hope he doesn't outgrow his mommy any time soon. I love that I'm the only one who can provide comfort when he needs it. That he can still fall asleep on my chest or in my arms. That he still loves to be rocked, and looks at me with adoring eyes as I sing to him.

Stay a baby a little while longer, Nat. I'm not ready for you to grow up yet!

No comments: